How to renew US passport? If your passport is about to expire, you need to make a Passport renewal appointment with the passport renewal service of the US embassy or consulate, and then prepare the required documents before going to the embassy to process the passport renewal service.
How long does US Passport last? Generally, applicants under the age of 16 have a validity of 5 years for a US passport, and 10 years for a US passport that is 16 years of age and above.
Afyorer booking your U.S. passport appointment, the editor will share with you the relevant information about the U.S. passport update!
>Do You Want To Receive Update As Soon As We Publish? join our Telegram Channel stay updated with the latest headlines--CLICK HERE
Here are ways to renew passport of residents of different ages:
How to Renew US Passport
How to Renew US Passport for children under 16 years old
If the following conditions are met, you can follow the instructions to renew the child’s passport:
1. Your child is under 16 years old at the time of the Passport renewal application;
2. Can provide the U.S. passport that the child currently holds;
3. The latest passport of your child is not time-limited, that is, the issued passport is valid for five years;
4. The content of your child’s passport information will not be modified, except for changes in name due to court orders.
Information required for child passport renewal
1. The child’s old passport and a clear copy of the passport photo page;
2. If the photo of the passport was taken during the child’s infancy, the parents should also provide the child’s life photos at each stage of growth;
3. The original or notarized copy of the child’s birth certificate or “Consular Report of Birth Abroad”, and a clear copy of the document;
4. Completed U.S. passport application form DS-11 (please do not sign);
5. The most recent 2 inch × 2 inch (5 × 5 cm) photo;
6. The original passport (or other photo ID) of the parents or legal guardian and a clear copy of the photo page;
7. U.S. passport renewal fee.
Note that for children under the age of 16, both parents must be present to renew passport in person, and sign the US passport application form in front of the consular officer, expressly agreeing to the issuance of the passport.
Parents who are unable to participate in the interview must submit a notarized consent form .
How to Renew US Passport for Adults
If the following conditions are met, you can update your adult passport as instructed:
1. Be at least 16 years old at the time of U.S passport application.
2. Be at least 16 years old when the most recent passport was issued.
3. The latest passport was issued within 15 years.
4. The most recent passport is not subject to time limit, that is, it is valid for ten years.
5. Can provide current passport.
6. The name used is the same as the name used in the most recent passport. If the name has been changed due to marriage or court order since the passport was issued, then relevant documents reflecting the name change must be submitted.
Information required for adult passport renewal
1. Submit the current or expired passport and a clear copy of the passport photo page;
2. A recent 2×2 inch (5×5 cm) photo, please refer to the photo requirements;
3. If your current passport is valid for 10 years, please fill out the DS-82 form. If your current passport is valid for only 5 years, please fill out the DS-11 form.
4. U.S. passport renewal fee.
U.S. Passport Renewal Process
1. Make a Passport renewal appointment on the official website, select the location of the embassy to renew your passport and the date of replacement.
2. Download and fill out the DS-11 U.S. passport application form, and prepare the supporting materials required for the interview.
3. Prepare the U.S. passport renewal fee.
4. Go to the passport renewal interview according to the appointment time.
How long does it take to renew a passport
Under normal circumstances, you can get a new passport within 2-4 weeks.